In the wake of a tragic fire that engulfed their home, a Cannon Hill family is receiving an outpouring of support from their friends, neighbours, and the wider community.
A GoFundMe page has been established to help the Grieve family, who fortunately escaped unharmed from the incident.
The fire, which broke out on the evening of 28 May 2023, wreaked havoc on the Grieve family’s cherished abode. The cause of the blaze has been attributed to an overheated mobile phone battery that ignited whilst Jon Grieve, a dedicated electrician from Backbone Electrical and a former Seagulls and Falcons player, and his partner, Amelia, were in the backyard of their Molloy Rd residence.
Mr Grieve’s quick instincts and the fortunate intervention of a passing motorist helped save the lives of their two sleeping daughters. Despite thick smoke engulfing the premises, Mr Grieve rescued his children, responding swiftly to the sound of a concerned motorist honking their horn to raise the alarm.
Local councillors have also stepped up to offer assistance. Councillor Lisa Atwood has announced that her office, located at 5/1181 Wynnum Rd in Cannon Hill (near Dominos), will gladly accept clothing donations on behalf of the affected Cannon Hill family.
Additionally, Councilor Lucy Collier in Bulimba is also accepting donations, extending a helping hand to those willing to contribute to the Grieve family’s cause.
The fundraiser, initiated by a thoughtful neighbour named Shyree Painter, has already raised an impressive $38,972 of its $50,000 target as of writing.
“They are both overwhelmed by everyone’s generosity and have so much pride that they would never actually ask for help, so I thank you all because once the shock wears off they will realise starting over won’t be cheap and asking for help is the first step in what will be a very long road to recovery,” Ms Painter wrote.